What Are the Differences Between Chinese Food and Your Own?

Welcome to Guangzhou, Good luck in the 101st China Import and Export Canon Fair. Then I hope this article can give you brief feeling about the Food in Guangzhou.
Alan is having a fish at Guangzhou Restaurant.

Alan (from Liverpool, UK): I Think traditional British food is very basic in contrast to Chinese food. We don't really place much emphasis on presentation, and our use of herbs and spices are also limited in comparison to China.

Another difference is that we don't have anything like the variety of dishes that you have here. You would find pretty much the same kind of British food whether you are in the north or south of England for example, though there are some regional differences between England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.



To many British people breakfast is the most important meal of the day and here I would take a traditional British breakfast of bacon, sausage, eggs, beans, mushrooms, toast… over a Chinese breakfast any day.



Kimberly (from Maryland, US): It seems that Cantonese (local Chinese) food centers around just a few ingredients per dish.

In America when I'm cooking I usually use a bunch of different spices. Although the local food here doesn't use as many ingredients it doesn't lack in flavor. I also find that local food is mainly cooked on the stove which often means that it's greasy. I'm not a big fan of the stove I prefer the oven. I like to bake my dishes because I feel that it's less oily and I can also stick it in the oven and do other things while it's cooking. The opposite of this is that ovens usually take a while to cook the food. Stove top food
here is cooked relatively quickly and dinner is usually served in the home in less time.



It's hard to compare the two types of food because they really are so vastly different. If I had any real gripes with the local dishes I would have to say it's the bones! In the U.S. when we eat a dish with bones, usually a whole rib or chicken leg, we use our hands and a lot of times we get dirty doing it. I like to handle my food but here in China the people have a different way of eating using chopsticks and the pieces of meat are small with little pieces of bones. It takes a lot of practice and real talent to eat a dish of what I refer to as "meat flavored bones" properly.




David (from Adelaide, Australia): No difference. Chinese food is a subset of Australian food, a category which also includes Italian, Vietnamese, Spanish, French, Japanese, Korean, Greek, Lebanese, Arabian and American food. Australia is an immigrant country, and is therefore not bound to any one culinary style.



Jorg (from Munich, Germany): Between Chinese and German food…well…I am not too familiar of German food so I can just tell you German cuisine is more heavy with sausage, potatoes…strong food for strong people with the beer of all meals…Chinese food is more light and more nice to see, more delicate and sophisticate. Pleasure of the eyes, the noose and the mouth…for the Chinese food…German one is more basic.


Best Stocks to buy 2012 Labels